You found our article about fillers.
As we age, we tend to lose volume in many areas of the face and this is usually caused by a variety of factors including aging, correction of face asymmetry, and face sculpting. Most people suffer from loss of facial volume, with the signs ranging from sagging contours to deepening wrinkles and more.
In this article, we will some of the common issues fillers can help address and the areas they are used on.
Botox used to be the favorite anti-aging treatment of choice but fillers are quickly becoming the preferred means of restoring a more youthful appearance to the face. Here are some quick facts everyone should know about fillers.
What are fillers made of?
There are a variety of filler products on the market and they are made from different substances. Here are the three most common active ingredients fillers are made of:
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA): This is a naturally occurring sugar in our skin that helps to keep our skin plump and hydrated. It achieves this by bringing moisture to the surface of the skin to make it appear younger. Examples of fillers made with this substance include Juvederm, Restylane, Belotero and Teosyal. These fillers are the products we use for all our procedures.
- Calcium Hydroxylapatite (CaHA): This is another naturally occurring substance in our bones, which helps to stimulate natural collagen production to improve the surface texture of your skin. It helps correct moderate-to-severe facial lines as well as restore lost volume. An example of fillers made with this substance is Radiesse.
- Poly-L-lactic Acid: Poly-l-lactic acid is a biocompatible (safe to use in the body, absorbable semi-permanent substance that is used in fillers to help stimulate collagen in the body to treat deep facial wrinkles. An example of fillers made with this substance is Sculptura Aesthetic.
What are fillers used for?
Experienced healthcare providers use fillers for the following purposes:
- Smooth out the wrinkles in the forehead.
- Get rid of bags under the eyes.
- Address bumps and unevenness to the nose.
- Rejuvenate earlobes to give them a rounder look
- Restore volume and restore the skin around the cheeks, jawline and chin.
- Plump up thin lips and make them beautiful, fuller and more attractive.
Who is it suitable for?
Fillers offer a variety of enhancement options that can be highly beneficial to the following groups of people:
- Women in 20s: Fillers are beneficial to women in their 20s, who use them to add volume to their lips and boost collagen production to keep their skin looking smooth and radiant.
- Women in 30s: Among other reasons, women in 30s use fillers to get rid of dark circles as well as create fullness and definition in the cheeks.
- Women in 40s: Women in their 40s use fillers to augment hollowness in the cheeks and smooth out the creases that make them look aged.
- Women in 50s: Women in this age group use fillers to replace facial volume loss and reduce lines around the eyes as well as restore the fullness to the lips.
Surgery vs. Minimally-invasive methods such as injection of fillers
Plastic surgery has always been the most popular cosmetic treatment for making people look younger and eliminating the signs of aging. However, with the rise in popularity of minimally invasive methods such as injection of fillers, many people are now turning to them as a way to turn back the clock to look younger. Although there is little difference in costs between the surgery and fillers, many people prefer to go for fillers due to its low risk of complications. Also, minimally-invasive methods like injections of fillers also lead to minimal scarring, meaning you get to have a smoother, tightened face without any evidence of any cosmetic treatment.
1. Achieving a feminine V-face with fillers
A V-face is usually associated with femininity and generally enhances the appeal of women. A person with a round face is often perceived to be fat while those with a square face typically look masculine.
How is it done?
The first step is the cleaning of the face with an antibacterial solution. The cosmetic surgeon then injects botulinum toxin into specific points along the jawline to relax the jaw muscles to prevent it from contracting and then uses fillers to enhance chin sharpness and add volume to cheeks. The next step is lifting the contours of the face inserting threadslifts into the skin while administering fillers containing Hyaluronic Acid (HA) to stimulate collagen production to improve the surface texture of the skin. The entire process is can be done under one hour, with the average time being 30 minutes. Overtime, the muscles in the face will reduce in size, resulting in a slimmer face and more defined jawline.
Why and how it is effective
Achieving a feminine V-face makes it possible to look feminine by changing the appearance of the face overall rather than just a certain facial feature. The chin fillers are effective because the results are long-lasting and patients get a better lift while the holding power is just great.
Key benefits/Results to expect
The results look natural but are still visible. Here are some of the benefits:
- V-shaped face
- Sharper jawline
- Slimmer and more feminine appearance
- Reduced teeth grinding
2. Facial definition – forehead, nose and chin sculpting
Facial definition is a procedure that involves the enhancement of the key features of your face i.e. your forehead, nose and chin. This procedure focuses on erasing the signs of aging such as eliminating wrinkles or raising scar depressions and enhancing cheek bones to restore your youthful looks.
How is it done?
Facial definition is the name given when a combination of different filler procedures used to enhance the face. They are simple and can be painless to if a numbing cream containing lidocaine and prilocaine is applied beforehand. The expert begins the procedure by marking the deformities and the intended sites of the injection. Next is the cleaning the face, particularly the forehead, nose and chin sculpting with antibacterial solution. The main treatment involves the careful injection of fillers containing Hyaluronic Acid into the forehead, nose and the chin after which gentle molding is done with a view towards reducing swelling and discomfort. A combination of Restylane filler products are specifically used for the jawline treatment.
Key benefits/Results to expect
- Slimmer jawline
- More defined neck
- Increased volume
- Minimal frowning lines and pesky wrinkles
- Straighter looking nasal bridge
- Lifted drooping nose tip
3. Volumizing – lip and saggy cheeks
Lips and cheek fillers help fill the cheeks and the lips so you can get plumper lips as well as brighten and reverse some of the naturally flattening in the cheeks and midface.
How it is done
This procedure is relatively simple, which is why it is sometimes referred to as “lunchtime procedure.” The first thing that is done it the numbing of the lips and cheek area using anesthesia or ice packs after which a controlled amount of filler will be injected into the lips and cheek region using very fine needles. The lips and the cheeks are occasionally massaged to determine whether the amount of filler is sufficient or to add more filler. Experts generally recommend that patients should avoid lipstick and other lip products shortly after the procedure.
Benefits/Results to expect
- Smoothed skin
- More sculpted facial contours
- Enhanced volume in the cheeks
- Even lips
- Lifted nose (with easier breathing)
4. Under eye fillers – a non surgical approach for eye bag correction
The purpose of the under eye filler is to fill in the hollows under the eyes and improves the appearance of dark shadows and bags beneath the eyes.
How it is done
The first step during the procedure is the marking of the area where the injection will take place so it can be cleansed with antibacterial fluid. Then your doctor will apply a numbing cream and wait till is absorbed, a process that takes less than ten minutes. After the waiting time, the doctor will inject a determined amount of filler underneath the eye using a needle and then smooth the filler into place. The process isn’t time consuming as it can be completed in less than 20 minutes.
Why and how it is effective
Under eye fillers are effective because they contain Hyaluronic Acid, which attracts water and makes the skin look plumper and more hydrated while also improving the longevity of fillers. When administered under the eyes, they help to replace the lost volume which is evidenced by the hollow underneath the eyes and the dark circles around it. There are different types of under eye fillers including Restylane, Belotero and Juvederm.
Key Benefits/Results to expect
- Get rid of dark circles
- Replace the volume lost under the eyes
- Fast and long-lasting effects
Fillers have become a preferred alternative to surgery as the side effects are minimal after receiving them. If you are on the fence about filler treatments, we invite you to schedule a consultation with out doctor.